The scorching heat and summer sun does make travel inconvenient. The car’s air-conditioning might be effective in keeping the temperature and humidity under control but it takes a toll on the fuel efficiency. Here are a few tips that you can use to keep the fuel consumption under check.
1. Use correct tyre pressure: Make sure that the tires are inflated as per manufacturers’ recommendations. Inflating the tires with lower pressure increases the rolling resistance and decreases fuel efficiency by as much as 5%. It is equally important that you check the tire pressure regularly. Friction between tires and road surface can cause the air to expand and increase air pressure beyond desirable limit.
2. Do not idle: All modern engines use low-density, synthetic engine oils along with advanced electronic injection system. There is no need to idle, idling the car only wastes fuel. At red-lights, turning the engine off would also save fuel.
3. Avoid aggressive braking: Coast the car to the red-light in neutral instead of accelerating it until the last moment and then braking hard.
4. Avoid crawling to the desired high speed: Reducing the engine RPM and driving a car in higher gear would save fuel. Therefore, attain the desired speed quickly by accelerating through lower gears to attain the highest gear available. Make sure that you attain the higher gear without accelerating harder than necessary.
5. Use natural ventilation at start: Cabin temperature would rise if the car is not parked in shade. Before starting AC, ventilate the interiors with fresh air by opening windows. Start the AC after the cabin temperature drops to normal level. This would help the AC to bring the temperature down easily.
6. Park the car in shade: Park your car in shade to reduce evaporative emission of fuel from the fuel tank.
7. Drive with windows rolled up: The wind resistance increases in direct proportion to the speed at which the car is travelling. Driving cars with windows rolled up will reduce the drag. Less wind resistance would help increase fuel efficiency of the car.
You may check how Autoportal Services can help you out!