Maruti Suzuki Swift is one of the best selling hatchbacks in India and has been enjoying success ever since it has arrived. Other car makers, with their premium hatchbacks have given stiff competition to the Swift but none has come as close as the Hyundai’s i20. Recently, Hyundai launched the next generation i20. Not that the outgoing car had anything wrong with it but the new car looks nothing like the old one and seems as if it has been built from the ground up.
We bring you a specs comparison ofMaruti Suzuki Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 to help you choose better.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Safety vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Safety
- Number of Airbags22
- Engine Immobilizer and Central LockingYesYes
- Parking AssistanceYes, Rear sensorsYes, Rear sensors with camera
- Child Safety LocksYesYes
- Door Ajar WarningYesYes
- Hill AssistNoNo
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)YesYes
- ESP (Electronic Safety Program)NoNo
- EBA (Electronic Brake Assist)YesNo
- EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution)YesNo
Maruti Suzuki Swift Exterior vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Exterior
- Front Fog LightsYesYes
- Rear Wash / WiperYesYes
- Rear DefoggerYesYes
- ORVMs (Outside Rear-view Mirrors)Internal adjustment-Electric with foldingInternal adjustment-Electric with folding
- Turn Indicators on ORVMsYesYes
Maruti Suzuki Swift Interior vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Interior
- Power WindowsAll WindowsAll Windows
- Power SteeringYes, Electric PowerYes, Electric Power
- Instrument ConsoleAnalog + DigitalAnalog + Digital
- Multifunction DisplayYesYes
- Adjustable Steering ColumnYes, RakeYes, Rake, Reach
- Seats MaterialFabricFabric
- Leather Wrapped SteeringYesYes
- Multifunction Steering WheelYesYes
- Sun VisorDriver & Front PassengerDriver & Front Passenger
- Seat Height AdjustmentManualManual
- Start / Stop ButtonYesYes
- Rear Center ArmrestYes, with storageNo
- ClockYes, DigitalYes, Digital
Maruti Suzuki Swift Comfort vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Comfort
- Navigation SystemYesYes
- Ventilation SystemYes, Fully automatic climate controlYes, Fully automatic climate control
- Automatic HeadlampsYesYes
- Boot-lid OpenerInternal, With RemoteInternal, With Remote
- Fuel-lid OpenerInternalInternal, with remote
- 12v Power OutletYes, 2Yes
- Second Row AC VentsYesYes
- Adjustable HeadrestsYes, All RowsYes, All Rows
- CD / MP3 / DVD PlayerYesYes
- FM RadioYesYes
- USB CompatibilityYesYes
- iPod CompatibilityYesYes
- Aux-in CompatibilityYesYes
- Cup HoldersYes, Front & RearYes, Front & Rear
- Keyless EntryYes, Smart KeyYes, Smart Key
- Cooled GloveboxYesYes
- Infotainment ScreenYes, Touch SensitiveYes, Touch Sensitive
Maruti Suzuki Swift Instrumentation vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Instrumentation
- TachometerYes, AnalogYes, Analog
- OdometerYes, DigitalYes, Digital
- Average Fuel ConsumptionYesNo
- Average SpeedYesYes
- Distance to EmptyYesNo
- Fuel GaugeYes, DigitalYes, Digital
- Engine Malfunction LightYesYes
- SpeedometerYes, AnalogYes, Analog
- Key Off ReminderNot applicableNot applicable
- Headlight ReminderYesYes
- Low Fuel WarningYesYes
- Fasten Seat Belt WarningYesYes
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dimensions and Weights vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Dimensions and Weights
- Length3850 mm3985 mm
- Width1695 mm1734 mm
- Height1530 mm1505 mm
- Wheelbase2430 mm2570 mm
- Ground Clearance170 mm170 mm
- Boot Space204 litres285 litres
- Fuel Tank Capacity42 litres45 litres
Maruti Suzuki Swift Body vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Body
- Seating Capacity55
- Body TypeHatchbackHatchback
Maruti Suzuki Swift Engine vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Engine
- Cylinder ConfigurationIn-lineIn-line
- Displacement1197 cc (Petrol) / 1248 cc (Diesel)1197 cc (Petrol) / 1396 cc (Diesel)
- Power (PS @ RPM)84.3@6000 (Petrol) / 75@4000 (Diesel)83@6000 (Petrol) / 90@4000 (Diesel)
- Torque (Nm@RPM)115@4000(Petrol) / 190@2000 (Diesel)115@4000 (Petrol) / 220@1500-2750 (Diesel)
- Engine LocationFront, TransverseFront, Transverse
- Fuel SystemInjectionInjection
- Emission NormBS IV g/kmBS IV g/km
- Fuel TypePetrol / DieselPetrol / Diesel
- ARAI Certified Mileage20.4 km/litre (Petrol) / 25.2 km/litre (Diesel)18.6 km/litre (Petrol) / 22.54 km/litre (Diesel)
Maruti Suzuki Swift Transmission vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Transmission
- DrivetrainFWD (Front Wheel Drive)FWD (Front Wheel Drive)
- Gears55 (Petrol) / 6 (Diesel)
Maruti Suzuki Swift Brakes/Wheels and Tyres vs. Hyundai Elite i20 Brakes/Wheels and Tyres
- Front BrakesVentilated DiscVentilated Disc
- Rear BrakesDrumDrum
- Front Tyre & Rim185/65R15195/55R16
- Rear Tyre & Rim185/65R15195/55R16
The specification sheet has been prepared by comparing Elite i20 Asta Diesel with the Swift ZDi and Elite i20 Asta Petrol with the Swift ZXi.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Vs Hyundai i20 Elite (Design and Exterior)
The new i20 looks much sharper from all angles. From the side the car looks sleek, the C-pillar has been blackened which creates an impression of semi-floating roof. The nose of the car is much sharper has a new hexagonal grill with chrome accent and elongated swept back headlamps.
The new i20 has a 45mm longer wheelbase which helps boost the interior space. The rear end of vehicle has been designed interestingly too; the tail light cluster, stands out in terms of design with its boomerang shape.
The Swift on the other hand which received a facelift in 2012 has very pleasing design elements and is overall a very accomplished product. However, it now looks aged standing along side the new i20. The Swift’s wheelbase is 95 mm shorter than the i20 and this makes a significant difference in terms of overall cabin space of the car.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Vs Hyundai i20 Elite (Interior and Features)
The Swift comes with black interiors with silver accents at places. The cabin is overall very spacious and pleasing. Even with the front seats pulled back completely, there in sufficient leg-room in both the rows. The Hyundai i20 Elite with its class leading wheelbase offers the best cabin space. The interiors designed with Hyundai’s ‘Fludic Design 2.0’ philosophy are very pleasing and come in dual - black and beige tone.
The boot space of the i20 is much greater at 285 liters than the Swift which offers 232 liters of space. Even with almost same level of equipment that these cars offer, interiors of the Hyundai i20 are a clear winner for us due to their superior fit, finish and overall feel of the plastics.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Vs Hyundai i20 Elite (Engine and Transmission)
Both the cars offer a petrol and a diesel engine. The petrol engines on both the cars are of same capacity (1197cc) and have similar figures in terms of power and torque. The diesel motor on the Hyundai is a more powerful (1.4 liter) in comparison to the Swift which comes with 1.3 liter unit. The diesel motor on Hyundai is mated with a 6-speed transmission unlike Swift which has a 5-speed transmission. While the petrol motors on both the cars use a 5-speed transmission.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Vs Hyundai i20 Elite (Safety features and Mileage)
Both the cars come with all bells and whistles that are typical of the cars today and are equipped with safety features like ABS with EBD, engine immobilizer, central locking and parking assistance features. The Hyundai i20 Elite offers the parking assistance feature with a rear camera and can help guide while you are parking the car whereas the Swift does offer parking assistance feature but without the rear camera.
The Swift’s 1.2 liter petrol engine delivers a mileage of 20.4 kmpl and 1.3 liter diesel motor delivers 25.2 kmpl. In comparison, the 1.2 L petrol engine variant of Hyundai i20 Elite delivers fuel efficiency of 18.6 kmpl while the 1.4 liter diesel mill gives a mileage of 22.54 kmpl.
The Swift has had its crown and glory when it deserved it. With the new i20, the Hyundai has really done a commendable job. No doubt, it deserves to sell like hot cakes as it has been selling right now. Maruti Suzuki would soon be out with the new Baleno which would compete with i20 more directly. However, till the time it is not here, it is the i20 that would have the lead.
You may want to watch a comprehensive comparison video of the cars below.