The Indian automobile segment has gone through an exciting phase in the past few years with a lot of new segments customized for the Indian audience are emerging. Be it compact sedan or a compact hatch or even a compact SUV, each segment has created a niche for itself as Indian consumers get more and more alternatives to choose from keeping intact the affordability of it all. However it does not change the fact that some segments would always remain effervescent and never lose their charm and premium sedans is certainly one of these. Renault and Toyota are among the top automakers in the world and when you put these firms against each other, the competition is always going to be tight. So let us compare the features of the two sedans and let’s see what lies within these two gorgeous vehicles.
Toyota Corolla Altis Safety vs. Renault Fluence Safety
- Number of Airbags24
- Engine Immobilizer and Central LockingYesYes
- Parking AssistanceYes, Rear sensors with cameraYes, Rear sensors with camera
- Child Safety LocksYesYes
- Door Ajar WarningYesYes
- Traction ControlNoYes
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)YesYes
- ESP (Electronic Safety Program)NoYes
- EBA (Electronic Brake Assist)NoYes
- EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution)YesYes
Toyota Corolla Altis Exterior vs. Renault Fluence Exterior
- HeadlightsXenon Projector with LED DRLsHalogen Projector with LED DRLs
- Front Fog LightsYesYes
- Rear Wash / WiperNoYes
- Rear DefoggerYesYes
- ORVMs (Outside Rear-view Mirrors)Internal adjustment - Electric and foldingInternal adjustment - Electric with folding
Toyota Corolla Altis Interior vs. Renault Fluence Interior
- Power WindowsAll WindowsAll Windows
- Power SteeringYes, Electric PowerYes, Hydraulic Power
- Instrument ConsoleAnalog + DigitalAnalog + Digital
- Adjustable Steering ColumnYes, Rake and ReachYes, Rake and Reach
- Seats MaterialLeatherFabric
- Leather Wrapped SteeringYesNo
- Multifunction Steering WheelYesYes
- Sun VisorDriver & Front PassengerDriver & Front Passenger
- Seat Height AdjustmentYes, ElectricYes
- Start / Stop ButtonYesYes
- Rear Center ArmrestYesYes
- ClockYes, DigitalYes, Digital
Toyota Corolla Altis Comfort vs. Renault Fluence Comfort
- Navigation SystemYesNo
- Ventilation SystemYes, Fully automatic climate controlYes, Fully automatic two zone climate control
- Automatic HeadlampsYesYes
- Boot-lid OpenerInternalInternal
- Fuel-lid OpenerInternalInternal
- 12v Power OutletYes, 2Yes
- Second Row AC VentsYesYes
- Adjustable HeadrestsYes, All RowsYes, All Rows
- CD / MP3 / DVD PlayerYesYes
- FM RadioYesYes
- USB CompatibilityYesYes
- iPod CompatibilityYesYes
- Aux-in CompatibilityYesYes
- Cup HoldersYes, FrontYes, Front & Rear
- Keyless EntryYes, Smart KeyYes, Smart Key
- Cooled GloveboxNoNo
- Infotainment ScreenYes, Touch SensitiveNo
Toyota Corolla Altis Instrumentation vs. Renault Fluence Instrumentation
- TachometerYes, AnalogYes, Analog
- OdometerYes, DigitalYes, Digital
- Average Fuel ConsumptionYesYes
- Average SpeedYesYes
- Distance to EmptyYesYes
- Fuel GaugeYes, AnalogYes, Digital
- Engine Malfunction LightYesYes
- SpeedometerYes, AnalogYes, Digital
- Key Off ReminderYesNo
- Headlight ReminderNot ApplicableNot Applicable
- Low Fuel WarningYesYes
- Fasten Seat Belt WarningYesYes
Toyota Corolla Altis Dimensions and Weights vs. Renault Fluence Dimensions and Weights
- Length4620 mm4618 mm
- Width1775 mm1813 mm
- Height1475 mm1488 mm
- Wheelbase2700 mm2703 mm
- Ground Clearance175 mm168 mm
- Fuel Tank Capacity50 litres60 litres
Toyota Corolla Altis Body vs. Renault Fluence Body
- Seating Capacity55
- Body TypeSedanSedan
Toyota Corolla Altis Engine vs. Renault Fluence Engine
- Cylinder ConfigurationIn-lineIn-line
- Displacement1364 cc1461 cc
- Power (PS @ RPM)88.4@3800110@4000
- Torque (Nm@RPM)205@1800-2800240@1850
- Engine LocationFront, TransverseFront, Transverse
- Fuel SystemInjectionInjection
- Emission NormBS IV g/kmBS IV g/km
- Fuel TypeDieselDiesel
- ARAI Certified Mileage21.43 km/litre20.4 km/litre
Toyota Corolla Altis Transmission vs. Renault Fluence Transmission
Toyota Corolla Altis Brakes/Wheels and Tyres vs. Renault Fluence Brakes/Wheels and Tyres
- Front BrakesVentilated DiscVentilated Disc
- Rear BrakesSolid DiscDrum
- Front Tyre & Rim205/55 R16205/60 R16
- Rear Tyre & Rim205/55 R16205/60 R16
The specification sheet has been prepared by comparing Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 VL with the Renault Fluence Diesel E4.
Toyota Corolla Altis Vs Renault Fluence (Design and Exteriors)
Toyota Corolla Altis is a beautifully crafted sedan to say the least with attention being given to the details. There is a good blend of modern yet conventional aspects that really make Toyota Corolla Altis stand out. At the front, you will notice the signature emblem right at the centre surrounded by three chrome slated plates that has a wide air dam as well.
The body colored bumper at the front has a sportier feel while the side profile is much more muscular with large multi-spoke 16 inch alloy wheels. The body colored external rear view mirror and door handles look great as well, whereas the B pillars and window sills have a touch of shiny finish.
On the other hand we have Renault Fluence which is a sedan that has undergone some major modifications compared to its predecessor. Here too we see chrome inserts at the centre of the front profile while the design of the front radiator grille is also changed. However it the presence of the front bumper with diffuser that gives Renault Fluence a real edgy yet savvy feel. The sedan also has body colored OVRMs while the door handles have a silver finish.
Toyota Corolla Altis Vs Renault Fluence (Interiors and Features)
There is no doubt that the interior of Toyota Corolla Altis is very lavish with the Japanese automaker using premium plastic material for the cabin that comes with a dual tone theme. The upholstery also uses premium leather in the higher ends and high quality fabric finish in the lower ends that again gives that up-market feel. There is quite a bit of space inside the cabin with a decent amount of boot space, leg space and shoulder space. There are plenty of other utility elements that add to the comfort including room lamps, rear sun shade reclining seats.
To top it all there is the in-dash touch screen audio with Bluetooth and SD card where base has 5.8 LCD touchscreen with DVD and above that all variants get 7.0 LCD touchscreen without DVD and additionally the top end gets navigation system as well.
In comparison, Renault Fluence also obliges with a good amount of leg and shoulder space giving a lot of airy-ness. The dashboard and the central console system are redesigned and therefore standout with their modern aesthetics. Look further deep and we see the three spoke steering wheel. Apart from the other utility features, Renault Fluence has rear AC vents in the top end, power steering with EPS, cruise control and speed limiter, central display etc.
Toyota Corolla Altis Vs Renault Fluence (Engine and Transmission)
Toyota Corolla Altis comes with a D-4D Diesel engine that has a variable Nozzle Turbo along with an intercooler. The four cylinder engine has a displacement if 1364cc delivering a maximum power output of 88.4PS at 3800rpm along with a 205Nm torque between 1800 to 2800rpm. The diesel variant has a 6 speed manual transmission system to work with. Then we have the petrol variant of Toyota Corolla Altis that has a 16 valve DOHC dual VVT-i engine that has a displacement of 1798cc generating 140PS power at 6400rpm. The torque carved away is 173Nm at 4000rpm. Here we see lot of alternatives as far as the transmission system is concerned including a 6 speed manual transmission system and Super CVT-i with 7 speed Sequential Shiftmatic transmission system.
Renault Fluence on the other hand does not provide any options in terms of petrol but there are two variants for diesel. The sedan uses the Direct Injection Diesel engine that has a displacement of 1461cc that delivers 110PS power at 4000rpm and 240Nm at 1850rpm torque exceeding the figures generated by Toyota Corolla. Renault Fluence uses a front wheel drive set up in synchronization with a 6 speed manual transmission system.
Toyota Corolla Altis Vs Renault Fluence (Safety features and Mileage)
Toyota Corolla is pretty good in terms if mileage giving a fuel economy of 21.43kmpl on highways whereas for cities the mileage is lower at 18.4kmpl. Renault Fluence on the other hand delivers a mileage of 20.4kmpl which is a tad short of what Corolla delivers making both the cars thriving neck to neck.
In the safety department both the sedans are almost at par with Renault Fluence offering plenty of features to work with including Aspherical Driver Side OVRM, Brake Assist, ABS with EBD (only in top end), front and rear disc brakes, Anti Slip Regulation, speed limiter, Engine and Transmission guard etc. Toyota Corolla too is quite compact in the safety section with the presence of features like ABS, EBD and Brake assist. There are SRS airbags for the passengers and the driver whereas front fog lamps.
There is not much to choose between Renault Fluence and Toyota Corolla although the latter is a better option when it comes to mileage. There are no petrol alternatives with Renault Fluence which means that you have to go with Toyota Corolla in that case. Aesthetically Renault Fluence does seem to be the better among the two while interiors are neck to neck for both. Safety features are better in case of the Fluence.