The first stage of the 2016 Dakar Rally from Rosario to Villa Carlos Paz that was scheduled for Sunday has been cancelled due to heavy rainfall. The first bike was due to start the stage at 0800 local time (1100 GMT) but the horrific weather conditions led the organisers to cancel the first stage. The competitors covered the distance of the first stage by convoy (untimed).
The bike standings continues to be headed by Joan Barreda and Ruben Faria while Ignacio Casale leads the quads section and Bernhard ten Brinke heads up the car category. The competitors will now start the race directly from the second stage which starts today at 0800 local time.
1. Joan Barreda (ESP), Honda, 6 minutes 27 seconds
2. Ruben Faria (POR), Husqvarna, (equal fastest time)
3. Helder Rodrigues (POR), Yamaha at 00.03 seconds
4. Adrien van Beveren (FRA), Yamaha 00.04
5. Michael Metge (FRA), Honda 00.08
Trucks were not a part of the prologue after a horrific crash that left 10 reported spectators injured. The trucks are set to run competitively for the first time from today when the rally starts from Termas Rio Hondo.