Remember your time in a long queue, waiting for your number to come amidst a flock of hundreds of cars and then as soon as you got the chance, you push the throttle to run away, like you broke the jail? Well the times can be long gone. The government yesterday launched an electronic toll collection program.
Christened as the FASTag, it will allow commuters to pay electronically, without stopping at any plaza. Although it was prevalent at many toll plazas in the country, this service was provided by contractors who operated the plaza. Now it will be made mandatory by the government at all the plazas around the country and will be operated by the government.
Features of the FASTag program include
• The vehicles will have an RFID tag affixed on their windshields which will have a unique number
• The RFID on the windshield will be detected by readers fitted in the dedicated ETC lanes of plazas
• The complete process of payment will be automated and depends on class of vehicle
• The ETC lane will be dedicated to RFID tag users only and will have color coding
• The RFID based FASTag will be provided by ICICI Bank and Axis Bank
• FASTag users can get it affixed to their vehicles at designated toll plaza locations and stations of Axis bank and ICICI bank.
Similar highway tag brands are available in developed countries with different names like Eazee Pass, SunPass in the US, e-Passin Australia, Salik in Dubai and others. We hope that this will stop the chaos created at the plazas.