Honda to increase scooter manufacturing capacity to cope up with rising demands
Snapshot: The company is undoubtedly the segment king with a massive 47 per cent market share. And registering a mind boggling 25 per cent jump in the scooter sales last month simply solidifies its position.
The fact is not hidden anymore that scooter sales in Indian two-wheeler market has crossed motorcycles sales and the pace at which scooter market is booming is significantly faster than the motorcycles sales. For example, Hero Splendor has been the undisputed king in terms of over-all sales and stood at the position of number one selling two-wheeler in the country for a long time but in recent past, say 1 or 2 years, Honda Activa dethroned Hero Splendor and became the number one two-wheeler of the country. Not only this, Honda Activa out-sold Hero Splendor by 82,000 units in the span of January-May this year and that is a good number.
But with great demand comes greater manufacturing responsibility. The Japanese auto maker has a target to hitting 3.3 million units sales figure and how can it be done? Of course by growing the manufacturing power!
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) inaugurated their Gujarat based manufacturing plant dedicated only for scooters not a long time ago and this is the largest of its kind manufacturing plant not only in India but in the world. Till time, only the first line of the facility was functional and now according to recent reports, the company has started production on the second line as well. This should result in reducing the backlog from the existing 35,000 units to 28,000 units.
The company is undoubtedly the segment king with a massive 47 per cent market share. And registering a mind boggling 25 per cent jump in the scooter sales last month simply solidifies its position.
We think you'd like...
- 2014-04-23 18:36:30Syed Shiraz ShahHonda Activa is now the largest selling two-wheeler in India
- 2014-06-13 13:44:14Udit VishalHonda spreads road safety awareness with Safety For Everyone sculpture
- 2014-08-22 19:06:11Divyanshu BooraHonda Activa is back on the Numero Uno spot
- 2015-04-11 12:39:45Sunny SoralScoop - 2015 Suzuki Lets with new Graphics reaches Dealerships, 49600 Ex-Showroom, Delhi
- 2015-04-21 11:15:04Prashant SinghHero MotoCorp beat Honda to become largest scooter exporter in India
- 2015-06-24 19:03:11Prashant SinghHonda Launches 2015 Activa-i and Aviator in an all new color scheme
- 2015-08-18 11:40:28Prashant SinghHonda ramps up the production of Activa to meet the growing demand
- 2015-09-25 13:36:31Prashant SinghHonda sells a Million of Activa units in last five months
- 2015-10-23 15:24:29Sunny SoralThe return of the Emperor - Hero Splendor is back as India's best selling Two -Wheeler!
- 2015-12-02 12:13:04Prashant SinghHonda Motorcycle & Scooter India saw a 12 per cent decline in November sales
- 2016-01-25 12:02:02Prashant SinghHonda conducted Maha Exchange Mela in Delhi, plans to expand the same to 10 more cities
- 2016-02-18 11:19:30Prashant SinghHonda Inaugurates their 4th Indian two-wheeler plant in Gujarat
- 2016-04-29 14:17:29Neeraj JhaTop 10 selling Bikes and Scooters in FY16
- 2016-05-04 13:50:26Prashant SinghHMSI grows by 27 per cent in the month of April
- 2016-05-11 11:49:18Neeraj JhaHonda Motorcycle inaugurates Best Deal outlet in Secunderabad
- 2016-05-18 14:28:46Neeraj JhaHonda Motorcycle and Scooter India inks MoU with IndusInd Bank
- 2016-05-25 13:24:26Neeraj JhaNew Honda Activa-I launched at Price Rs 50,255
- 2016-07-20 14:47:10Neeraj JhaHonda Activa becomes top selling two wheeler in June 2016
- 2014-04-23 18:18:25Syed Shiraz ShahHonda launches 125 cc Activa at Rs. 62,276 (on-road, Mumbai)
- 2014-04-25 12:19:27Udit VishalHonda will launch the Activa 125 on 28th April in India
- 2014-04-29 18:01:45Divyanshu BooraHonda launches Activa 125 - its first 125 cc automatic scooter in India - with price starting from Rs. 52,447
- 2015-02-10 12:16:32Sunny SoralSpied - Yamaha Nozza Grande 125 Scooter makes its first appearance in India