The industrial giant, Mahindra & Mahindra bought electric car manufacturer Reva. The new unit was named Mahindra Reva and its first offering is anxiously waited by experts and general public. The unit will start a new chapter in the manufacture of small cars in India this year. They will finally raise the curtain on their new model, E20, a vehicle which runs on electricity alone, in March 2013.
Initially the price of the car will be high because there is no extra benefit for the manufacturers of electric cars under this year’s budget. M&M have not yet disclosed the price of their electric car. However, keeping in mind the present cost of making a car, and with no help from the government except for extension of sops on parts and batteries till 2015, it will not be very cheap.
The E20 will face stiff competition from the manufacturers of other smaller cars in the market. However, it has following outstanding features:
- ?The size is smaller than the cars currently available;
- The maximum speed limit will be one hundred kilometers per hour;
- The vehicle has only two doors but it can easily seat four people;
- The car has innovative technology which:
- ?Tells you when it is time to charge;
- It unlocks car door automatically;
- Adjusts air inside the car suitably;
- Make a note of and you will be informed on how you drive a car.
- The car will consume only 50 to 60 paise worth of electricity per kilometer.
The target customers are urban, environmentally aware people, with enough extra cash. To help their customers the company is setting up stations to supply quick electric power to car owners. This facility will be provided in Bangalore and Delhi first. It also hopes get into partnership with major electric companies and owners of large shopping centers to facilitate in rapid charging of their car. The sale goal of E20 is modest. It hopes to sell, a little above 29,000 units, in India and abroad. They hope the overseas buyers would pick up half of this targeted number.