Suzuki Gixxer commences Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup
Snapshot: Amarnath Rajan took the podium in the Novice category beating Antony Peter by 7/100th of a second.
In a bid to capture the popularity of the motorcycle racing in the country, Suzuki Gixxer Cup introduced the Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup in India at Madras Motor Race Track. The venue played host to an extended 5 day weekend for the Gixxer Cup and Road to Rookies Cup riders, alongside the Indian National Motorcycle Racing Championship 2016.
The Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup is the first of its kind series which provides young and aspiring Indian racers a launchpad to the international racing arena! The first round of the Road to Rookies Cup was held in conjunction with Round 2 of the Suzuki Gixxer Cup, where 8 young riders between the ages of 13 to 16 years participated in 3 races with the elder and more experienced novice riders from the Gixxer Cup.
The action began with an introduction and orientation workshop conducted by Suzuki and Red Bull for the Rookies – theory classes, track ride through, sighting laps and practice sessions interspersed with feedback sessions from Suzuki’s qualified team of racing instructors.
A free practice session for all the rider was conducted on Thursday for all the events– Gixxer Cup Open, Gixxer Cup Novice and the Road to Rookies Cup. While the senior racers got a chance to accustom them to the new and improved braking setup on the race machines, this gave the Rookies some additional time to get accustomed to their race machines for the coming 3 days of incredible racing.
At the first, Sachin Choudhary took the first position ahead of Varoon and Alexander in the Rookies category, while Amarnath Rajan, Antony Peter and Joseph Mathew made up the podium for the Novice category. The Open Race also saw last year’s podium winner Meka Vidhuraj taking the first position from R Rajinikanth and Vishwadev Muraleedharan in a very close fight among 4 other riders.
Race 2 was the perfect opportunity for Sri Lankan Rookie Aaron Gunawardena to display his top form as he started the race from last on the grid (due to a crash in Race 1) and yet finished first with a hairs breadth of just 1/1000th of a second!
Meka crashed out of the Open race, leaving R Rajinikanth to battle with Vivian Gladwin and Vishwadev Muraleedharan for the top 3 positions.
Aaron made it a double by winning Race 3 in the Rookie category from Varoon and Alexander while Amarnath narrowly clinched the first spot from Antony Peter with 3/100th of a second.
The Open race witnessed a comeback from Meka, who started last on the grid and eventually ended 2nd after Vivian Gladwin and just a tenth of a second ahead of Vishwadev.
The results for all 9 races are:
1. Rookie Race 1
1st: Sachin Choudhary 9:19.705
2nd: Varoon 9:20.037
3rd: Alexander 09:29.225
Best Lap: Varoon 2:16.892
2. Novice Race 1
1st: Amarnath Rajan 9:04.774
2nd: Antony Peter 9:05.213
3rd: Joseph P Mathew 9:06.261
Best Lap: Joseph P Mathew 2:13:281 (100.3 kmph)
3. Open Race 1
1st: Meka Vidhuraj 13:28.003
2nd: R Rajinikanth 13:28.145
3rd: Vishwadev Muraleedharan 13:28.614
Best Lap: Vivian Gladwin 2:12:232 (101.1 kmph)
4. Rookie Race 2
1st: Aaron Gunawardena 9:05.809
2nd: Varoon 9:23.893
3rd: Alexander 9:29.492
Best Lap: Aaron Gunawarden 2:12:772 (100.7 kmph)
5. Novice Race 2
1st: Amarnath Rajan 9:05.810
2nd: Antony Peter 9:05.883
3rd: Peddu Sri Harsha 9:10.865
Best Lap: Amarnath Rajan 2:13.621
6. Open Race 2
1st: R Rajinikanth 13:36:688
2nd: Vivian Gladwin 13:37:359
3rd: Vishwadev Muraleedharan 13:39.738
Best Lap: Vivian Gladwin 2:13:204 (100.4 kmph)
7. Rookie Race 3
1st: Aaron Gunawardena 9:07.216
2nd: Varoon 9:23.711
3rd: Alexander 9:28.228
Best Lap: Aaron Gunawarden 2:14:348
8. Novice Race 3
1st: Amarnath Rajan 9:07.142
2nd: Antony Peter 9:07.172
3rd: C Raj Kumar 9:08:101
Best Lap: Antony Peter 2:13:971 (99.8 kmph)
9. Open Race 3
1st: Vivian Gladwin 13:32:558
2nd: Meka Vidhuraj 13:33:316
3rd: Vishwadev Muraleedharan 13:33.408
Best Lap: Vishwadev Muraleedharan 2:13:072 (100.5 kmph)
We think you'd like...
- 2014-05-27 12:35:11Udit VishalSuzuki Gixxer 150's power figures revealed
- 2014-09-09 12:59:06Vidyadhar Sharma Suzuki Gixxer launched in India; priced at Rs. 72199
- 2014-12-16 10:46:04Sunny SoralSpied - Suzuki Gixxer 160 wears some clothes, fully faired version spotted!
- 2015-02-11 15:28:26Sunny SoralSuzuki Gixxer Outsold by Honda CB Unicorn 160 in January
- 2015-02-23 17:51:24Sunny SoralScoop: Fully Faired Suzuki Gixxer will launch Mid April 2015
- 2015-03-26 13:47:10Sunny SoralSuzuki Gixxer SF is launching on 7th April, 2014
- 2015-05-04 15:51:05Prashant SinghSuzuki introduced dual-tone colors for the Gixxer 150
- 2015-05-15 14:28:59Sunny SoralSuzuki - No plans for Sub 300cc Bikes and CKD for next 12-18 Months in India
- 2015-05-21 17:43:07Sunny SoralSuzuki Motorcycles India rolling out Gixxer Cup, We give them a Big Thumps Up
- 2015-06-15 15:03:10Prashant SinghSuzuki working on a 250cc Gixxer
- 2015-09-23 12:25:00Prashant SinghRear disc Gixxer and Gixxer SF spied
- 2015-11-02 18:17:54Prashant SinghAs festive season Approaches, Suzuki Gixxer crosses 10,000 mark in October sales
- 2015-12-04 12:32:53Prashant SinghSuzuki to launch the new Gixxer 250 by March next year
- 2016-03-18 15:34:58Prashant SinghSuzuki aims to double the exports figures this year
- 2016-04-15 16:06:24Prashant SinghSuzuki Gixxer rear disc variant launched; Price is Rs 79,726
- 2016-05-05 16:45:37Neeraj JhaSuzuki announces 2016 Gixxer Cup
- 2016-05-06 19:31:48Neeraj JhaGame changers: 10 bikes that changed the way we ride
- 2016-06-28 13:32:48Neeraj JhaSuzuki Gixxer Cup set to return for Season 2
- 2016-09-09 11:32:24Prashant SinghSuzuki launches special edition Gixxer and Gixxer SF