Suzuki Gixxer Cup set to return for Season 2
Snapshot: The Road to Rookies Cup acts as platform for riders between 13 to 17 years
Suzuki Motorcycle is all set to return for the season 2 of its most popular Gixxer cup. This race series has been approved by the Federation of Motor Sport Clubs of Indian (FMSCI) and organised by Madras Motor Sport Club (MMSC). It returns as a supporting race for the Indian National Motorcycle Racing Championships in 2016.
In addition to the Novice Class (Under 23 years) and Open Class (Above 23 years), Suzuki took the Gixxer Cup one step further this year by collaborating with the Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup. The Road to Rookies Cup is a real launch pad for young riders in the age of 13 to 17 years to get access to the Rookies Cup in Spain and then on to Moto 3, Moto 2 and eventually MotoGP!
Thanks to the positive reputation and rapport garnered by the Suzuki Gixxer Cup in its maiden year, this season began with overwhelming participation for both Novice and Open classes, even from neighboring countries. Novice had a total of 39 entries and Open had 24 entries with many eagerly on the waitlist. Friday was spent with the riders going out on practice sessions in batches and getting re-acquainted with their race machines, feedback to the technical crew, and tweaking of the brakes and other minor adjustments. The race prepared Gixxer SFs have been upgraded to rear disc brakes, which helped in better braking control for our racers!
Saturday had 3 qualifying sessions – 2 batches for Novice – where the top 20 riders were selected, and 1 batch for Open – where the top 23 riders qualified for the final race grid. The day ended with the Novice Race 1 where our international participant, 13 year old Aaron Gunawardena clinched the closely fought race from Joseph P Mathew with a best lap of 1:21:161.
Sunday, as always, was the most energetic and active day of the Gixxer Cup weekend with 3 races lined up! Novice Race 2 had the riders in 2 groups, racing for 1st position and then for 4th, both being closely fought to the last lap. Finally, Aaron emerged the winner again; leaving the 2nd position for Joseph P Mathew and 3rd was claimed by Amarnath Rajan. The grand finale was the Gixxer Cup Open race which had the big boys battle it out right from the green light! Stiff competition and a tight grid led to a crash followed by a restart, which resulted in an exciting race for the top 3. Last year’s frontrunner Meka Viduraj crashed out in the midst of an intense battle with B Rajnikanth, allowing Rajnikanth a well-earned win. 2nd place went to Vivek Mani and 3rd to Prabhu V.
We think you'd like...
- 2014-05-27 12:35:11Udit VishalSuzuki Gixxer 150's power figures revealed
- 2014-09-09 12:59:06Vidyadhar Sharma Suzuki Gixxer launched in India; priced at Rs. 72199
- 2014-12-16 10:46:04Sunny SoralSpied - Suzuki Gixxer 160 wears some clothes, fully faired version spotted!
- 2015-02-11 15:28:26Sunny SoralSuzuki Gixxer Outsold by Honda CB Unicorn 160 in January
- 2015-02-23 17:51:24Sunny SoralScoop: Fully Faired Suzuki Gixxer will launch Mid April 2015
- 2015-03-26 13:47:10Sunny SoralSuzuki Gixxer SF is launching on 7th April, 2014
- 2015-05-04 15:51:05Prashant SinghSuzuki introduced dual-tone colors for the Gixxer 150
- 2015-05-15 14:28:59Sunny SoralSuzuki - No plans for Sub 300cc Bikes and CKD for next 12-18 Months in India
- 2015-05-21 17:43:07Sunny SoralSuzuki Motorcycles India rolling out Gixxer Cup, We give them a Big Thumps Up
- 2015-06-15 15:03:10Prashant SinghSuzuki working on a 250cc Gixxer
- 2015-09-23 12:25:00Prashant SinghRear disc Gixxer and Gixxer SF spied
- 2015-11-02 18:17:54Prashant SinghAs festive season Approaches, Suzuki Gixxer crosses 10,000 mark in October sales
- 2015-12-04 12:32:53Prashant SinghSuzuki to launch the new Gixxer 250 by March next year
- 2016-03-18 15:34:58Prashant SinghSuzuki aims to double the exports figures this year
- 2016-04-15 16:06:24Prashant SinghSuzuki Gixxer rear disc variant launched; Price is Rs 79,726
- 2016-05-05 16:45:37Neeraj JhaSuzuki announces 2016 Gixxer Cup
- 2016-05-06 19:31:48Neeraj JhaGame changers: 10 bikes that changed the way we ride
- 2016-08-16 13:15:52Neeraj JhaSuzuki Gixxer commences Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup
- 2016-09-09 11:32:24Prashant SinghSuzuki launches special edition Gixxer and Gixxer SF