Volkswagen group is not just another automobile group or manufacturer. They manufacturer more cars than any other manufacturer, they own some of the most exotic and popular brands, and they are the pioneer of innovation, when it comes to powertrain. And the company has done it again by introducing the world's first 10-speed DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) dual-clutch gearbox.
First introduced in 11 years ago in a Golf R32, the DSG became a rage for its efficiency and smoothness. The company used to offer a six and a seven-speed gearbox uptill now in all its vehicles including sister firms. The German automaker says, it's been developed to handle torque as high as 550 Nm. But this is the not the only innovation VW presented in its 2014 Innovation workshop. The list is long.
The latest innovations by Volkswagen:
1. Mild hybrid – shuts off the TSI/TDI when it is not being used.
2. Stop-start 2.0 – engine shuts off at speeds under 7 km/h.
3. 2.0 TDI with 240 PS* – bi-turbo Passat consumes 5.3 l/100 km.
4. 2.0 TDI with 272 PS – bi-turbo plus electric booster.
5. 10-speed DSG – new automatic for engines with up to 550 Nm of torque.
6. Lightweight design with lightweight panels – sandwich construction from motorsport.
7. Infrared-reflecting dashboard – pigments that reject heat.
8. Low-E glass sunroof – oxide film blocks infrared radiation.
9. Range manager – maximum range in Auto mode.
10. Air conditioning in electric cars – need-based and extremely efficient.
11. Volkswagen Car-Net – brings online services into the car.
12. "Security & Service" – always informed about vehicle status.
13. App Connect – welcome to "Apple CarPlay" and "Android Auto".
14. Volkswagen Media Control – tablet control via app in the car.
15. Predictive navigation – the first navigation system that "learns".
16. Personalisation – individual settings at all times.
17. Easy Open – open sesame 2.0.
18. Easy Close – the Passat Estate now closes automatically.
Volkswagen is aware that the rising pollution levels and increasing fuel cost, is something they have to curb, as they are the highest volume group in the world. Volkswagen AG has set the goal of becoming the world's most sustainable carmaker by the year 2018. The innovations unveiled are a step forward to achieve the goals with less than 4 years remaining.