Honda Activa is now the largest selling two-wheeler in India
Snapshot: Honda Activa outsells the Hero Splendor to become the largest selling two-wheeler in India now. Honda sold 1,77,928 Activas in March 2014 while Hero managed to sell 1,63,778 Splendors in the same period
Hero's Splendor, the largest selling brand in the entry-level segment for the past two decades in India finally concedes its crown to the Honda Activa, which is now India's largest-selling scooter.
The Activa outsold the 100 cc motorcycle twice in the FY 2014 - in September 2013 and then again in March 2014 where Honda sold 1,77,928 Activas compared to the 1,63,778 Splendors.
However, it should be noted that the sales figures of Splendor taken for comparison include only the 100 cc model and not the 125 cc version, which is known as the Super Splendor. Hero MotoCorp essentially have five variants of the same 100 cc motorcycle under the Splendor brand while Honda sells just two variants of its popular Activa.
From the looks of it, the newly launched 125 cc Activa might do to the Super Splendor what the 110 cc Activas did to the Splendor.
Mr. Yadvinder Singh Guleria, VP Sales & Marketing, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India, said, “We are excited that Honda Activa has once again become the highest-selling two-wheeler of India. This clearly indicates that Activa is exponentially getting acceptance as the most preferred choice of two-wheelers for commuting. We are proud to share that Activa is now strongly making inroads in Tier-2 towns and beyond.”
The Activa's phenomenal success does not come as a surprise actually, what with the ever increasing traffic on our roads that warrants an easy-to-ride machine now more than ever. Plus, better utility aspects (read 'storage space') of scooters have brought many traditional motorbike users to adopt these twist-and-go chariots for their daily commuting needs.
With growth of the scooter segment being three times than that of the entire two-wheeler segment in the last fiscal, the automatic scooters are definitely here to stay.
We think you'd like...
- 2014-09-06 22:36:05Vidyadhar SharmaHero Splendor Pro Classic to go on sale by October at Rs. 53900
- 2014-06-13 13:44:14Udit VishalHonda spreads road safety awareness with Safety For Everyone sculpture
- 2014-08-22 19:06:11Divyanshu BooraHonda Activa is back on the Numero Uno spot
- 2015-04-11 12:39:45Sunny SoralScoop - 2015 Suzuki Lets with new Graphics reaches Dealerships, 49600 Ex-Showroom, Delhi
- 2015-04-21 11:15:04Prashant SinghHero MotoCorp beat Honda to become largest scooter exporter in India
- 2015-06-24 19:03:11Prashant SinghHonda Launches 2015 Activa-i and Aviator in an all new color scheme
- 2015-08-18 11:40:28Prashant SinghHonda ramps up the production of Activa to meet the growing demand
- 2015-09-25 13:36:31Prashant SinghHonda sells a Million of Activa units in last five months
- 2015-10-23 15:24:29Sunny SoralThe return of the Emperor - Hero Splendor is back as India's best selling Two -Wheeler!
- 2015-12-02 12:13:04Prashant SinghHonda Motorcycle & Scooter India saw a 12 per cent decline in November sales
- 2016-01-25 12:02:02Prashant SinghHonda conducted Maha Exchange Mela in Delhi, plans to expand the same to 10 more cities
- 2016-02-18 11:19:30Prashant SinghHonda Inaugurates their 4th Indian two-wheeler plant in Gujarat
- 2016-04-29 14:17:29Neeraj JhaTop 10 selling Bikes and Scooters in FY16
- 2016-05-04 13:50:26Prashant SinghHMSI grows by 27 per cent in the month of April
- 2016-05-11 11:49:18Neeraj JhaHonda Motorcycle inaugurates Best Deal outlet in Secunderabad
- 2016-05-18 14:28:46Neeraj JhaHonda Motorcycle and Scooter India inks MoU with IndusInd Bank
- 2016-05-25 13:24:26Neeraj JhaNew Honda Activa-I launched at Price Rs 50,255
- 2016-06-28 11:54:26Prashant SinghHonda to increase scooter manufacturing capacity to cope up with rising demands
- 2016-07-20 14:47:10Neeraj JhaHonda Activa becomes top selling two wheeler in June 2016